Saturday, June 30, 2012

Post 4

     I am much more comfortable writing documents online than on paper. In fact, when I write a letter on paper such as a thank you note I regularly make mistakes due to lack of practice. All of my remembering is done digitally. I live by my Outlook calendar and my Google Doc to-do list. All email addresses are on my computer and numbers in my phone. My note-taking has been back and forth between pen and paper and my Ipad at meetings.

     My phone is always on me and my computer is always on; I am always very connected. I will engage in 2-3 activities at a time, but I cannot verify the effectiveness of them. I have not played video games recently, but I used to play quite frequently. Maybe after I finish this M.Ed. ... hah!

     My family got our first computer when I was in elementary school, but we were one of the first on my street. I believe I am in between generations. Since I went to school for technology and my dad was into it, I feel I was exposed more than most too it. However, it was notihing like it is for today's kids.

     I think we need to embrace the digital age. Having kids "power down" upon arrival at school is fighting a losing battle. The teachers are teaching the way they are taught.  Teachers need to learn a new way of teaching, and it should be student led - especially since the students are the ones comfortable with it. This is a big project for me next year and if I ever go for my doctorate, this would probably be my topic hah! My podcast will address this issue more.

No comments:

Post a Comment